- MANGO JAM WITH RED KAMPOT PEPPER
- FLAMBÉED MANGOES WITH RED KAMPOT PEPPER AND RUM
- SWEET AND SPICED RAINBOW MIXED SALAD
Mango Jam with Red Kampot Pepper[Makes 1 big jam jar or 2 medium ones.] Ingredients:
- 500 g mango (5 small or 2 big ones)
- 350 g brown or whole sugar (like Rapadura)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground red Kampot pepper
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract (optional)
- Peel the mangoes and cut them into cubes. Put them in a bowl with the stones, sugar, red Kampot pepper.
- Let stand for at least 2 hours so that the red pepper can infuse.
- Pour preferably in a copper pan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes, without skimming. Remove the stones. Poor into a jam jar and seal it with a metal lid. Clean the jar if necessary and turn it upside down until it has completely cooled down. Store and consume whenever you like.
Flambéed Mangoes with Red Kampot pepper and Rum[Serves 4 people.] Ingredients:
- 2 big ripe mangoes
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or margarine if you don’t have)
- Brown or whole sugar (like Rapadura)
- Freshly ground red Kampot pepper
- A big drop of rum (preferably amber one)
- Peel and cut the mangoes in slices, not too thin (1.5 cm thick) and not too long (8 to 10 cm long). Set aside.
- In a big pan, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. When it is hot, lay the mango slices side by side in the pan and fry them on one side and on the other by turning them over with two forks, for example.
- Spread some whole sugar (to taste) and let it caramelized for a little while (watch your pan as it can get brown very fast!). Spread some red Kampot pepper all over the fruit. Keep the heat on a little longer to release the aroma from the pepper (important!).
- Finally add a big drop of rum and flambé the dessert.
- Serve and enjoy.
Sweet and Spiced Rainbow Mixed Salad[Serves 2 people as a main dish salad, or four people as an entrée.]
- 1/8 of a red cabbage
- 1 carrot (medium size)
- ½ avocado
- 5-6 leaves of lettuce
- 1 little mango
- 1 little pomegranate
- A few grinds of red Kampot pepper
- Sea salt
- Toasted sesame oil (or olive oil)
- Balsamic vinegar
- A few black sesame seeds for decoration
- Cut the red cabbage in thin slices. Grate the carrot. Cut the half avocado in slices widthwise. Wash the lettuce and cut the bigger leaves in smaller pieces (by hand or with scissors; it’s up to you). Peel and cut the mango in slices (the same size as for the avocado).
- In each plate, make a bed of lettuce, then put a mix of grated carrot and minced red cabbage, on top of that arrange alternatively in a radial shape some slices of avocado and mangoes. And spread some pomegranate grains all over.
- Sprinkle toasted sesame oil and balsamic vinegar. Add freshly ground red Kampot pepper and a pinch of sea salt (to taste). And finish the decoration by adding a few black sesame seeds on top.
- Taste with your eyes first.
Are you also a pepper addict? How do you cook it? Share your craziest associations and best recipes in the comment section!